Here's my simple guide to using Facebook effectively with a few definitions and uses of some common Facebook elements. You'll notice this is just Episode One of four, which will cover broad topics and focus on two or three must-use tips.
A Facebook Profile is the account you setup to begin using the social site. On a Profile, you can add and accept friends, post personal messages and send private messages. Here are my tips for setting up your profile effectively:
(1) My biggest piece of advice is to be transparent and clearly define who YOU are. Use the About Section to state what you do, why you do it, and outline your passions. If you have a significant story that impacts your business, tell it there.
(2) Choose a photo that shows your face and flatters you. You may even want to choose something that clearly expresses your personality. Just be sure it's not blurry or unprofessional.
(3) Post a photo at least once a day. Use the status updates to post new photos of yourself, your life or your business. Using photos clearly communicates your message and is more "shareable" on social media.
A Facebook Page is professional profile that you can setup using your personal Profile. A Page can be setup for entity that qualifies as a Business, Celebrity, Brand, etc. Pages cannot add and accept friends, they can only gain "Likes" from Facebook users. If you choose to setup a Page for your business, here are my tips:
(1) Use a unique name, preferably your business name, for the Page. You don't want to confuse anyone by trying to represent your Page as something it's not. Be transparent.
(2) Update your Page daily with links, photos and status updates. Mix up your content to ensure everything you post is seen by those who "Like" your page.
(3) Create ads and offers. If you want to improve your business, then look into creating an ad or an offer. Doing so, you can bring people to your Page and earn more reach (number of people who see your posts or Page).
A Facebook Group is a community where users who are invited to join can participate in discussions and post content to the Group wall. Here are my tips for using Groups effectively:
(1) Always follow the rules! Groups are created to give users a space to communicate freely; however, when someone violates the group rules by being adding spam or negative comments, it can ruin the space for others.
(2) Engage mindfully with other users. Don't start arguments or react too quickly to comments. Always be aware of how you are feeling when you respond to a post, so that you don't respond with too much passion. Sometimes, conversations can be misconstrued online. Do your best to ensure you're always understood and understanding of what others are saying.
(3) Join groups that can help you grow your business. As I mentioned earlier, don't post spam on Groups (this includes links to your business). However, you should join groups and make new connections. This is ultimately the place to network on Facebook and can help you gain more "Likes" on your Page or more friends to your Profile. As this happens, your business content will be seen by more people.